On spot idli/ Street style idli/ Hyderabadi idli
A Hyderabad street food which is simply mouth watering and will satisfy your cravings. On spot idli is a Chaat type food found commonly in the state. It’s crispy as well as soft. The secret for the recipe is that you can make this with both rice, white as well as brown rice. Lastly, this is a must try recipe which you will surely found unique and tasty.
- .5 kg Rice & Urad dal mix/ Instant idli mix/ Batter
- 1 cup Chopped onion
- 1 cup Tomato
- 1 tbsp Butter per serving
Spices per 2 serving
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri lal mirch / Degi mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Yellow pepper
- Salt to taste
- Podi masala
- 1 cup Rice and 1/3 cup Urad dal/pulses is the ratio. Soak this for 4-6 hours. Strain it then grind it really well. Form a paste , cover with lid and keep in warm place until it ferments. After fermentation we are good to use this. Now store this in fridge.
On spot idli
- Saute onion and tomato in 1 tbsp butter. Sprinkle some coriander leaves and all above spices.
- Divide batter in pan and pour some batter, spread it wisely. Cover it and let it cook. Sprinkle podi masala. Flip when it turns golden as well as crispy.
- Serve with coconut chutney. Garnish with more podi masala or coriander.
- Batter needs to be fermented. It varies like in summer this process fastens & viceversa.
- You can slow down the above process by adding salt to it.
- This hyderabadi idli goes really well with chutney and podi masala.
- Go crazy for crispiness & street food then its a must try recipe.
I would like to share my personal experience, I failed 3 times while making this. Finally when I got success with this food, it turned into one of my favourite starter or street food.